11.21.2011

Thanksgiving Stuffing!

So my family has about the best Thanksgiving stuffing recipe out there ever. I may be a slight bit biased, but I have tried looking for it online- and I can't find it anywhere! I really should post pictures of it, but since we really only make it during Thanksgiving I can't justify making it without a turkey! Our recipe has always been verbal, so writing it down will just make it last longer in my opinion.  It truly is original.

Nila's Family Stuffing:

What you will need:
1 lb sausage (breakfast kind)
2 cans of unpitted olives (these can be hard to find, we use Graber olives here), drained
Seasoned cornbread dressing according to size of turkey
Celery according to dressing package, minced (leaves included)
Onions according to package, minced
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 carton of chicken broth
1-2 eggs

Instructions:
Cook sausage, set aside and leave the drippings in the pan. Saute the minced onions and celery in the drippings, then drain. In a large bowl, add cornbread according to the size of your turkey, the cooked minced onions and celery, cooked sausage, 1-2 eggs (start with one, if it is not enough to spread evenly, add another), butter. Mix together, then add drained olives. Lastly, add chicken broth- but only enough to lightly (very lightly) moisten the stuffing. Adding too much broth will make it gooey. This recipe gets better with experience- my first attempt at it made it way too gooey, I will know better next time. Stuff the turkey with the dressing, making sure NOT to pack it. Packed dressing doesn't cook thoroughly, increasing risk of Salmonella (YUCK).

If you have leftover stuffing, you can put it in a casserole dish and place the turkey neck on it; then cook to the directions on the back of the stuffing.

If you attempt this, let me know! I'm excited to see other's results.

No comments: