10.03.2011

Fall Wardrobe Necessities

So, it's really been brought to my attention that I need a complete wardrobe overhaul. It might be the fact that I only own one pair of pants. It might be the fact that I feel I avoid social situations because I have nothing to wear, or that my husband owns more clothes than I do. It really is a sad situation.

I've been scouring the Internet for some ideas of fall wardrobe basics, stuff I will use constantly and for years to come. I've found it hard to come by an operational list for moms, as we really don't need a lot of that business casual stuff! I've made my own list, and I thought I'd share. I've already told my husband if I get a job a major portion of that will be devoted to getting new clothes (at least in the beginning). I'm still looking (for a job), so we'll see how soon this happens.

  • 5 Pairs of Jeans- This is really necessary! Having one pair of jeans has made my life really hard, especially as it is getting cold. As a mom, I live in my jeans. There is rarely an occasion I don't have a pair on (except for church occasions!).
  • Calf or Knee High Boots- I'm kinda aiming towards calf here. I really need something that will look great under a skirt, or jeans. 
  • 5, different colored camisoles - I wear the crap out of my basic tank tops right now, and these things are pretty dang awesome for layering. They are a must have!
  • 3 Sweaters- I'm seeing a lot of "chunky" sweaters in right now, but I'd prefer a few basic ones that will always be in season.
  • 3 Cardigans- For layering. I really think layering makes an outfit look so much more dynamic.
  • 5 Plain Shirts- OK, as a mom I just cannot be wearing my Friday night out outfit while my son throws spaghetti all over me. Find them cheap, and buy lots. 
  • 3 or 4 Dressy Shirts- Be it something that will dress a cami up, or a nice shirt, these will be great to have when you want to go out. No more, "I have nothing to wear!". 
  • 1 or 2 LBDs- That's little black dress. I prefer long black dress, haha. For me, modesty always comes into play so I really prefer to find something knee or calf length. Nevertheless, having a LBD in your closet is a must.
That's it on my basic shopping list. Of course you can add accessories like purses, shoes,and jewelry. As a mom, I find it hard to use purses as I have a diaper bag that functions as one. Jewelry is hard to wear unless you love it getting yanked off your neck and ears. Sure it's nice for a night out, but it's just not functional when your kid is hanging on you. I'm going to be spending some time on Polyvore and making some outfits from these suggestions, so stay tuned!

No comments: